Click below to hear about Spicy Tomato Cream Pasta on the Candidly Kendra Eats podcast:
I’m a pasta lover. That’s not saying much. I’m basically a food lover. But one of the foods I love for a satisfying evening meal is Spicy Tomato Cream Pasta.
I developed this recipe when a pasta dish from an online recipe fell flat. I knew I could amp up the flavor and give it a comfort food twist with the addition of a few key ingredients.
Spicy Tomato Cream Pasta is a family favorite that comes together very quickly and easily on a weeknight. Bowtie pasta covered in a creamy tomato sauce touched with the flavors of rosemary and basil, and dialed up with crumbled Italian sausage. Sometimes I make it spicy and we try to be tough, and sometimes I leave out the spice. Make it the way that works best for your family!
Spicy Tomato Cream Pasta Digest
- Start boiling hot water for the pasta. When it boils, cook 16 oz. farfalle (bowtie) pasta, stirring occasionally until tender, according to package directions. Drain when it’s finished.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. oil in a skillet. Then add 1 lb. hot Italian sausage and cook until browned. If you aren’t into spicy foods, use mild Italian sausage. (If you want medium spice, use mild Italian sausage and then add 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.)
- Near the end of the cooking time, add 2 cloves garlic, minced. (Have I told you how much I love my Pampered Chef garlic press?)
- When the sausage is cooked through and the garlic smells great, add 1 can diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup red wine (this is optional; I left it out without a substitution and it was fine, but it adds great flavor if you have it), 1 tsp. basil, and 1/2 tsp. rosemary. Simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes if you have time. If you don’t, move on to the next step.
- Finally, add 1 cup heavy whipping cream. (This is the stuff you guys. This is why this recipe will blow your mind.)
- Stir the sausage mixture into the pasta and voila! Top with parmesan cheese and eat it with this crispy garlic bread.
See the recipe below!
Spicy Tomato Cream Pasta
- 16 oz farfalle pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage (or mild)*¼
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup red wine (optional)
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp rosemary
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the wine, diced tomatoes, basil, and rosemary. Heat and stir. If you have time, you can let this simmer for 5-10 minutes. If not, move on to the next step.
- Add cream and stir.
- Add the sauce to the drained pasta. Top with parmesan for serving.