Click below to listen to this post about this lemon cake with blueberry frosting on Candidly Kendra Eats:
How much does the weather affect what foods you crave? Have you ever thought about that?
In the heat of summer a beef stew sounds…painful. Strawberry shortcake seems strange in January.
But today I’m confused. I don’t know what I want! Because it’s early in September – still summer by most accounts – but it’s snowing! I want chili! I want pumpkin spice! But I also want berries and lemon and barbecue ribs.
Maybe I should look on the bright side: This week I can eat anything! Everything!
For those of you still craving the tastes of summer, today’s Blueberry-Frosted Lemon Cake will be just the thing! This unique recipe uses a fine powder made from freeze-dried blueberries to color and flavor a cream-cheese frosting. That luscious, creamy frosting is the perfect topping for a light lemon cake.
I always make sheet cakes to simplify my life, but these would make beautiful cupcakes!
Blueberry-Frosted Lemon Cake Digest
- Use a lemon cake mix to bake a cake according to package directions. If you’re at high altitude, be sure to include high altitude directions. Then cool the cake.
- Blend a package of freeze-dried blueberries (Target carries these) into a fine powder. It’s okay to leave some larger crumbs, but I prefer the powder to be as fine as possible.
- For the blueberry frosting, combine 1/4 cup softened butter, 4 oz. softened cream cheese (Neufchatel cheese works great as well), one teaspoon vanilla extract, one teaspoon lemon juice, one 2 oz. package freeze-dried blueberries, 2 cups powdered sugar, and 1/2 cup milk. Beat these ingredients together well. This frosting is so tasty – and it’s a beautiful blue-purple color. (Note: My cake in these photos has a more pink color because this time I used a cherry-blueberry mixture, since that’s all the store had this time.)
- Spread this frosting on the cooled cake. Refrigerate until serving.
Blueberry-Frosted Lemon Cake
- 1 box lemon cake
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 pkg. (7 oz.) freeze dried blueberries
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup fresh blueberries, optional
- Bake the cake using oil, eggs, and water, according to package directions. You can make cupcakes or a 9 x 13 cake. Leave the cake to cool.
- Pulse the freeze dried blueberries into a fine powder in a blender.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, blueberry powder, vanilla, lemon juice, and powdered sugar. Add milk to get the frosting to a spreadable texture.
- Frost your cooled lemon cake or cupcakes with the blueberry frosting. Decorate with fresh blueberries, if desired.