Click below to listen to this post on the Candidly Kendra Eats podcast:
It was in my first apartment in college that I really discovered my love for cooking. It all started with this cookbook:
Do you have that cookbook? My guess is that if you are over 40, you have it, and otherwise you don’t…unless your mom gave it to you when you moved out.
I read every page of this cookbook that first year in my apartment. Once my roommate picked up a whole frozen chicken at the grocery store, thinking, “We should cook a chicken,” and it was this cookbook that got it onto the table, stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey and ready to share with our friends.
Eventually I worked my way into this cookbook, a gift from my mother.
The red checkered cookbook had a recipe for everything you would possibly ever want. But the Taste of Home cookbook had a recipe for the best version of each possible recipe.
And that’s where I found this Easy Taco Casserole. So simple – only five ingredients plus a handful of your preferred toppings.
I’m confident enough to say that this will become a family favorite. And it will be your go-to to throw together on those days when you’re short on time. Just go ahead and double this recipe. You’ll be glad you did.
Taco Casserole Digest
- Brown the ground beef in a pan, crumbling and stirring as you go. Then drain out the extra grease.
- Add a couple big scoops of salsa for the great mexican flavor. I always keep it simple with Pace Mild Chunky Salsa.
- Add a big scoop of mayonnaise. No, that’s not a mistake! Don’t substitute sour cream here. Mayonnaise has so much more flavor to add to the mixture. But, trust me, it doesn’t turn out tasting mayonnaise-y. If you have a family member that isn’t a fan of mayo, don’t tell them. They’ll never guess it’s in there.
- Add spice if you want to with some chopped jalapenos or chili powder. I never do. We keep it very mild and simple here.
- Then layer half that meat mixture with crushed tortilla chips and shredded colby-jack cheese. And repeat.
- Tip! I keep a bag in the freezer for the crushed chips at the bottom of bags of tortilla chips. I dump the crushed chips into that freezer bag, and use those chips for this casserole. (No need to thaw them.)
- Bake for 25 minutes and voila!
- Serve with lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped olives, and any other taco toppings you like.
Easy Taco Casserole
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- chopped jalapenos (to taste), optional
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped olives
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cook ground beef in a skillet until no pink remains. (If using jalapenos, add them to the skillet while the beef is cooking.) Drain.
- Add salsa and mayonnaise. Mix well.
- Layer half the meat mixture in a 2 quart baking dish. Add half the chips and half the cheese. Repeat, ending with cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Pass lettuce, tomatoes, and olives as toppings.