Click the player below for an audio version of this post on my podcast, Candidly Kendra Eats. (If you can’t see the player below, you can find it by clicking Podcasts on the Main Menu, and then choosing “Rice Crispy Treats the Right Way.”)
Yes, my friends, there is a right way – and a wrong way – to make rice crispy treats.
I admit, I hesitated to post about rice crispy treats on my blog. But then I remembered that Pioneer Woman posted about cinnamon toast once and so I realized I can do this! (Haha! I just noticed that her title is the same as mine. That was a happy accident.)
Here’s the thing…My rice crispy treats are world famous. People around the world sing songs about my rice crispy treats. I have been crowned the Rice Crispy Treat Queen. There is a statue of me holding a plate of rice crispy treats in Milwaukee. They are that good!
(Well, I might have exaggerated a bit in that last paragraph. In fact, am I spelling “rice crispy treat” right?)
But on this very special day I’m going to share with you how to make rice crispy treats as well as I do:
The key is in the meltiness of the marshmallows.
Do not – I repeat, do not – overmelt your marshmallows. If you do, they will lose their beautiful fluffiness and return to the original state of…sugar and oil. It’s not pretty and it’s not that tasty.
So treat your marshmallows with tender loving care and microwave and stir and microwave and stir until they are just barely melted. Then quickly stir in the rice crispies! And ta-daaa! Perfection.
What was that? Did I just hear someone ask about putting melted chocolate chips on top? Sure, fine. You do you. I like mine the way God intended them. Naked.
Rice Crispy Treats
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 pkg (10 oz.) marshallows, regular size
- 6 cups rice crispy cereal
- in a deep microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter for 15-30 seconds on high.
- Add the marshmallows and stir with a long plastic spoon to coat them in butter.
- Microwave the marshmallow mixture for 45 seconds. Stir with that long plastic spoon. (Meanwhile, measure the cereal into a large bowl and grease a 9×13 rectangular pan.)
- Microwave for 30 more seconds. Stir again. If it's not melted yet, microwave for another 15 seconds and stir again. DON'T microwave for too long!
- Dump the marshmallow mixture into the cereal. Stir quickly with that long spoon. Time is of the essence.
- Now dump the entire mixture into the 9×13 pan that you greased. Here's the trick: Fill a cup with cold water. Dip a large metal spoon into the cold water twice. Now use the back of that spoon to press the rice crispy treats into the pan. When the spoon gets sticky again, dip it in water again.
- Let the rice crispy treats cool and then eat them all at once all by yourself.